Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Why aren't you dancing?

Who cares if you know the song or not?
You like the beat? Is the hook catchy?
Then what's holding you up?


Too often people won't get on the dance floor because they don't recognize the song.
I can honestly say I was never held back from dancing because it was a song I didn't know. In fact if it was a new song I had not heard before...it motivated me even more to prove my rhythm.
For some reason as a young boy I had no problem shaking my groove thang. As an adult...I still can't help it. In fact when I hear a new beat I really lose it...I think to myself "now that song is going to shake the room big time".

Earlier this year I was spinning some pretty standard stuff that packs the floor when I decided to throw in a brand new(at the time) song. I made the risky move of playing a song on the week it was released...
That song was "4 minutes" by Madonna, JT, and of course Timbo. Now 99% of people would say oh that song kicks much rear....and I would dance to that in a heart beat. Well yes now you would, but back then it cleared the floor in a matter of about 4 seconds - never mind minutes.

Why?
Why?
Why?
What the heck?
Of course after it has gained traction everyone wants it played a hundred times.

This issue crosses so many boundaries it's not even funny. From gender to race to self esteem....the list goes on...there's just too many.
I think one of the best examples I witnessed of dropping inhibitions and just dancing came when I was watching a classic episode of Soul Train. This episode featured a band from Japan called "Yellow Magic Orchestra". They did a song called "Tighten Up" and the crowd loved it. Now I know what you're saying "they're on TV...they're supposed to act like the like it". Well there's genuine joy and there is manufactured joy.....and that wasn't manufactured.
Here is a group of five people from Japan lip syncing a song, originally by Archie Bell & The Drells (yes a cover song), the Soul Train crowd probably never heard before(assumption)....and they were going nuts. I had never heard the song before that episode but I assure you as soon as I hit record on the dvr my butt was up and shaking. I can only imagine what it was like feeling the energy in the room that day....I bet it was an absolute blast...and I am completely jealous of times like that. If you watch the interview with sir Don it's obvious there was mayhem in the audience. Here take a look:




Please get out there - make a fool of yourself - nobody cares - enjoy the music!

1 comment:

gatorwoman said...

I completely agree - if you like a song, dance with your heart and don't let inhibition keep you from your joy!