Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tributes ~ Remakes ~ Covers

Ah...the ever controversial cover song.

What's the harm? We all sing in our cars, showers, beds (huh?)...anyway...

Sometimes cover songs are really well done but rarely get the respect they deserve and other times they are flat out awful and everyone hates them.

Unfortunately it's not uncommon to have a die hard fan of the original version completely against anyone remaking their favorite band's music. They treat the offending band producing the cover as if they just committed a cardinal sin.

I understand the offensive nature of someone screwing up your art, love, and passion; however, if the offending band is really trying to pay tribute to the original artist...I really don't have a problem with them having a go at it.....

I really just wanted to make another post for entertainment purposes....so....on with the show.
Here are a few covers that will make your jaw drop.

Let me start with one of my all time favorites. If you have known me for any amount of time then you have to know this...ummm.....performer....person....whatev....here she is Ms. Sondra Prill performing Janet Jackson's "Nasty":






I highly recommend you look up other gems by Sondra Prill. Another favorite which, like nasty, features her screaming like a banshee is the classic Technotronic song "Pump up the Jam".

Now this next one is a cover I recently came across and was quite shocked. I don't know how to explain this...I'm fairly certain it was supposed to be a remake of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".....but about the only thing it shares musically with the original is part of the bassline. I'm not sure the lyrics are correct....if someone could please tell me if he is actually singing the original or not I would appreciate it. It would at least give me some closure to my sleepless nights sucking my thumb in the fetal position - in the corner of my bedroom.......
Clearly he performed this on a 1987 version of the classic keyboard by casio (the SK-1.....yeah that's right...shout out to my homie Milazzo).
Oh god...I can't believe I'm doing this help me:






This last one I must admit had me wondering wth. As a DJ I get the original requested all the time. It's a classic that brings back memories of killer camaros and winged haircuts.
I'm apalled.
Here is Celine Dion doing AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" (someone help):




The list of awful covers goes on and if you just google "worst cover songs" you'll find some real gems out there. It appears that no one is immune ~ just put me in a bubble to keep me away from this drivel.

2 comments:

J said...

Ok the Sondra Prill CRACKS ME UP!! I want to see if she's on facebook so I can join her fanclub!LOL

I think the thriller "remake" is a bollywood esque thing. You should see if Roger can translate it for you. But lordy why would you want to.

And I have to say the ACDC thing is surreal. I never thought I could hate one of their songs.

Unknown said...

I was okay with the first ones, I'd seen them sometime in the past. That last one though? Please save me a corner so I can curl up in a fetal position and cry until the memory goes away...