Saturday, July 18, 2009

State of Main

"Oh please...please...please don't come back up to the booth and ask for 'Stanky Leg' again. Maybe if I look focused, head down in my mixer....ear goggles on, she'll get tired of waiting and leave. Crap. She's only getting more persistent with her steady alcohol intake. Why? Why would anyone request 'Stanky Leg' at a wedding...ok...I'm going to be nice and give her the standard DJ Bleggi (newkindofdj.com) answer 'I will do my best to get to it, the bride and groom have a lot to get to in the next hour but I'll try to squeeze it in somewhere' " (translation - No way in hell I'm playing that song and will continue to stall until you get pissed at me and complain to everyone here about the horrible job I'm doing)

I know it sounds like I'm the old crotchety Phill, but I assure you I'm not. DJ Bleggi is completely different and puts his own musical snobbery aside for the benefit of the event. I understand what is needed and I can certainly appreciate certain requests IF they fit in the framework of the event.

That being said the state of main stream music has been suffering for some time.
Every week I receive a CD of music from a subscription service that supplies radio stations and program directors with the latest "guaranteed" hits.
I've got to tell you, these disks are very informative...they contain everything from adult contemporary to country to "urban"(as they choose to call it...what's wrong with "rap"?). Anyway, I'm always amazed when the disks come in....usually I'm like a kid who got a new toy. I want to listen to them right away. I crack them open drop them in the computer and get ready for disappointment. Usually I'll get my folders ready to copy files if I think some have potential...but most of the time I usually just sit, drool, and often whine (sorry honey). It's beyond me how some promoters will actually back some of these artists and expects airplay.
I'm always on the lookout for new artists or those that I have never heard, but when the titles come across before the music starts...well I tend to get cynical....very quickly. I will already give the song a strike if I think the name is just awful....for instance...this week's disk contained a performer by the name of "Derty" featuring "Lil Boosie"(dammit spell check is going to kill me on that one). Anyway, immediately upon seeing "f" I thought to myself "this is gonna suck". I know that's not fair, but seriously I think if these performers (still avoiding calling them artists) would put half the amount of work in their music as they do with their jacked up names they might make a decent record. I wonder if past DJ generations thought the same of "Klymaxx", "Devo", or "kajagoogoo"?

I've had many conversations lately regarding the current state of music with a variety of people and a large cross-section of cultures. Everyone agreed that the current state is not good. However, I must admit...we might have seen the bottom already. As we come out of the over "Emo" metro sexual sound or even the droning bass of southern "Crunk"...there is a new generation of musicians making their name known...slowly.

Rap is starting to turn around again (if they can get away from the Vocoder....omg you're killing me with that crap.....STILL). With a new release from "Chevelle", the good old hard rock genre will also continue to have some life support this year.
Of course with desktop music publishing getting easier and easier, that can only mean that we will have more "Souljaboy" music to deal with...please save your ears and give someone like "N.A.S.A." a try (they're genius).

The bottom line here...expect more from the people producing the music. Make them raise the standard. Right now - music makes it to market way too quick, with very little criticism.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I'll give N.A.S.A. a look.

seedub said...

thank you for calling out the vocoder. it was tired when cher used it, and that's never a good sign.