Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'm so happy mad!

I couldn't be angrier with myself, but I'm still happy. I've rekindled another relationship- well not really. I have found an artist that I ignored for many years and he has allowed me to purchase his music. Is that really a relationship?

This appears to be a common occurence with me. I like an album from a band that for one reason or another doesn't survive, then I never check in with them again.
Usually when the band breaks up I write them off. "You're dead to me". There have been a few bands that I've actually taken the time to research the other projects they were involved in, because I was interested. Unfortunately I rarely get hooked on their newer projects.

Every year I come across at least two or three artists that I completely neglected to keep up with and then find out they have been more than active in the music community. It makes me angry that I haven't given the effort to keep up with them but oh so excited when I find they have a respectable discography I have never heard.

The really frustrating part of that relationship is that it's not that I've ignored the song or album that got me hooked in the first place. In fact, I usually break out the dusty albums a few times a year....reminisce...then get back to my busy life. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Usually what happens is I listen to an album and maybe I look up the band and find out they have broken up right after an album or two, and I give up or get distracted. No excuse. I should pay more attention to you, I'm so sorry. Here you are pouring your heart in to your music and I'm off listening to some, mediocre at best "new sound". Will you ever forgive me?

One such event happened this week.

This week is one of my "lucky" weeks where I can actually treat myself to new music. Not a client's, not a recommendation...but music that I've sought out and found. I love music hunting and hitting the gold mine.
In recent searches I've come across new artists like Jamie Leonhart (who is a marvelous musician out of the NY) and reconnected with one of my favorite folk artists Leona Naess.

But last night I came across a name I have not heard in at least 10 years - Mike Doughty (also out of the NY).

Mr. Doughty was in a band called Soul Coughing...one of their great songs named "Super Bon Bon" is frequently played in my vehicle. The entire album "irresistible bliss", released in 96, is one of those that I break out often enough to refresh the words in my head. Everytime I listen to it...I think "too bad they broke up", and like a schmuck I put it right back up on the shelf without following up.

Well last night upon music shopping I came across M. Doughty's discography and boy was I embarrassed. When I saw all of the music he has released over the past ten years my shoulders sank. I wanted to kick myself without even hearing any of it...I know I messed up, I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I was apologizing to him under my breath, while cussing myself. Sound unheard - I made the snap decision to purchase everything available (not just his latest "Golden Delicious" released early 2008). I knew I wouldn't be dissappointed because I knew this was a guy who would produce quality.

I don't know how many of you take recommendations or if anyone even reads my drivel, but let me suggest you give him a chance. In today's mash of over processed, vocoder induced, empty lyric vocals....it's so flippin nice to come across someone who has no issue sticking with what works. If you're not familiar with his work....at the very least give "Looking At the World from the Bottom of a Well" a listen. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Sorry Mike, I'm an idiot...won't happen again.

No comments: